Saturday, May 17, 2008

Take Flight, My Hands, Take Flight....


Tomorrow, I will be commissioned as a Stephen Minister. After 52 hours of training, I am deemed ready to serve. We were asked to design a symbol that represents Stephen Ministry to us. I chose this little birdie perched upon my hands....

All papers and elements are from the Songbird Avenue May 2008 Take Flight Kit benefitting the Komen Foundation. Great kit! Great cause! Can't get any better than that!

Here is the journaling that goes with this layout...
"My hands. The hands of my dear mother. The hands of my dear grandmothers and generations before them. The hands of a wife, loving and caring for her beloved. Nudging him forward and gently drawing him back home. The hands of a momma holding and patting her children. Rubbing their backs and holding their hands. Urging them from the nest, excited about where they are going while worrying about how far away it might take them. A smile and a sigh at the same time. Hands that clean, and then clean again. Everyday the same tasks but motions of the heart. Repetitive tasks freeing the mind and spirit to listen, pray and believe. Holding your loved ones close while setting them free to soar. Grieving all the losses while celebrating the blessings that come when you are open to change and follow God’s whispered urgings in your heart. All the while, wondering how things will turn out in the end. Am I being true to myself and honoring God in all things? Have I faithfully fulfilled the relationships God has placed in my life? Have I loved, guided and instructed my children in the ways that will lead to health, purpose and fulfillment? Have I brought out the best in my husband and given him the support and encouragement he needs in order to be the man God has called him to be? Can others see beyond the daily tasks I complete to the love of God that stirs me on? Can they feel the touch of God and the healing of the Holy Spirit when I am near? Or do my own desires and issues get in the way? Have I learned how to truly listen and to sit still and let another person come before me time after time? Will it ever seem easy to be true to myself while letting myself fall away? Hands that serve as often as they can. Hands that are scared to reach out. Hands that sometimes want to hide. Hands that have now learned many skills that can help draw a person into communion with God, but that need to be willing to sit still so as to not distract a person from God’s presence and voice. Hands that must continually balance proper care for self, devotion to God and outreach to others. Hands that desire to live and serve in a way that bring respect to situations that might seem difficult to embrace. Hands that are now ready to be the hands of a Stephen Minister. Hands that have belonged to God for a very long time. Hands that must stay anchored at home while finding time to work for others. Thank you, God, for my hands."

No comments:

Post a Comment