Monday, January 19, 2009

I have been cleaning my home today and have had some thoughts stirring around inside of me that I need to get down. I have had some very strong urges over the last few days to return to my journey of a more simple life. After we moved to Jacksonville this summer, I changed some of the ways I had been living to make life easier during the transition into our new church, my new job and the kids back into public school. But after having been here for 7 months now, I am feeling drawn back into a more intentional, organized, and simple life in which I find honor and meaning  in the everyday "small" tasks that make up my life. 


I found a new blog Down to Earth this morning, and I have been digesting it bit by bit as I work. That particular page has recipes for green cleaners. So here is my crazy radical idea of the day. 

Is there a way I can simultaneously reduce my family's waste (there are a lot of us here!), cut our spending, build meaningful relationships, be an impetus for change, and help to create opportunities for people in need to feed their families with honorable work? 

I think there is. What a realization to have as I scrubbed the shower. Staring at my Dripping Wet (has anyone ever figured out how to effectively clean a shower without getting wet?) image in the mirror, I had a realization. Ok, maybe a few realizations. I will try to share them with you. But it may take a few days to find all the right words. 

First you have to know that my favorite "charity" is Opportunity International. Check it out here if you don't know about it. Watch the videos. Gives me chills just telling you to check it out.

My idea is forming into something like this.....

I decide to make some changes in the way I clean and, therefore, the way I shop. That helps me to feel more honorable about the work I do around my home. It also is great for the environment because it will not only reduce chemicals being used around my home, but also will eliminate a lot of very unnecessary packaging if I am not purchasing said chemical cleaners, soaps, and detergents. This is very good. And the last step is a good one, too. I will estimate the cost of said chemical cleaners and donate that money to Opportunity International instead. Great idea! 

But the last bit is the part that has me really excited. I will lead some workshops at the church where people can come together to learn how to make their own cleaners, explore simple ways to reduce their waste and unnecessary packaging, and to journey toward a more simple lifestyle in which relationships are more important than shopping for commercial products and purchasing advertised entertainment. And the fundraising part of it all is almost a reverse fundraiser. We are not asking people to spend any extra money at all. In fact, we are asking them to find ways to spend less while growing in community and dignity so that we can spend the amount we save to help someone else.....

And as in all things....one tiny change leads to another and then another.....

What do you think? I kind of like it.....

No comments:

Post a Comment