Friday, April 18, 2008

Booneville's Transformation


This is a custom photo collage I made this last week after a Cargill factory in our town caught on fire. It was a devastating loss to our town's economy as the company was the largest employer. But the town's ministerial fellowship formed a non-profit that managed to secure donations of food and gather together various helping agencies who could distribute grant money through one central location, The South Logan County Family Resource Center. They sponsored a job fair that had many employers present offering more jobs than were actually lost. In my mind, this has been a time of incredible transformation for the town as it pulled together in very real ways to overcome a disaster.

The background photo is an aerial shot of Booneville I took from my friend's plane. Then I layered a stock photo of smoke on top to symbolize the fire. The hand and the butterfly are both stock photos that I extracted as well.

It was a meaningful process for me to use my digital artistry to capture a moment in the time of our town. So I have spent time making some more digital art pieces to hang on the walls at the Family Resource Center as inspiration to those who come in for help. Here are some of the ones I have completed so far. They are 8x10's.




No comments:

Post a Comment